Statoil declared that two intervals tested in the Zafarani 2 well have provided sufficient technical data to underpin a commercial LNG development for the region.
Testing on two separate intervals in the Zafarani 2 well drilled in Block 2 offshore Tanzania yielded a maximum flow rate of 1.9 MMcm/d (66 MMcf/d) of gas which was constrained by test equipment and confirmed good reservoir quality and connectivity, Statoil said in a statement.
Testing was carried out in a water depth of 2,400 m (7,872 ft) at a location 80 km (50 miles) from the Tanzanian mainland.
Next a further appraisal well, Zafarani 3, will be drilled and tested, Statoil indicated.
A total of five discoveries have been made in Block 2, and the resource base there is put at between 481 Bcm and 566 Bcm (17 Tcf and 20 Tcf) of gas.
Previous discoveries were Mronge-1, Tangawizi-1, Zafarani-1, and Lavani-1, and a deeper discovery in a separate reservoir in Lavani-2.
ExxonMobil and Statoil are working on plans to tap reserves offshore Tanzania with a new LNG development.
Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation with 65% working interest. ExxonMobil owns the remaining 35%.