Johannesburg, South Africa | – South African energy and chemical giant, Sasol is set to repatriate hundreds of South African workers in the face of growing violence in the country.
Sasol is repatriating 340 South Africans working at its projects in Mozambique over fears for their safety after foreign nationals were attacked back home, the synthetics fuel maker said on Friday.
Sasol said as a result of the repatriation, work at some of its projects had been halted temporarily. This follows reports that the Lebombo border post which separates Mozambique and South Africa had been closed after South African trucks were attacked.
This is in retaliation to the xenophobic violence which has spread in Kwa-Zulu Natal to some areas of down town Johannesburg. Over sixty people have died and more maimed and assaulted in the attacks which have gained momentum in the past two weeks.
Sasol spokesperson, Alex Anderson said previously that work had been stopped at their natural gas central processing facility in Temane‚ Inhambane.
“We are taking necessary precautions to ensure the safety of all personnel and will continue to facilitate engagement with all parties involved and the relevant authorities to work towards an amicable solution‚” Anderson said.